RYA DAY SKIPPER THEORY COURSE – Duration 5 Days
Course Fee: 500 Euros
This shorebased course is carried out over 5 days and provides a comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. Whilst the course will equip students with sufficient knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day, a basic knowledge of lights is also included which provides an introduction to night cruising. In order to keep abreast with developments in electronic navigational aids, students will be given a realistic insight into electronic navigation with the use of a chart plotter.
For students unable to commit themselves to 5 consecutive days of training, we can offer a ‘tailor made’ programme of structured short sessions to enable them to complete the course at their leisure.
The course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations (IRPCS)
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts.
Please contact us for any further information and course dates.